G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Thursday, July 12, 2007

What a wonderful world....

This really is an extraordinary place. Here we are in our home, overlooking a beautiful lagoon and a few minutes from a great beach - and yet we are 40 minutes by bus from the central business district of the most important city in the country, down the road from a cinema, shops, hospitals and everything we need for modern life.

And then - under 30 minutes away - there is this....






We've spent the day up the road in the Ku Ring Gai National Park with Maria, Molly, Luke and Sam, eating lunch by the water, enjoying the spectacular views and soaking up some rays. It's been wonderful.




As you can see from my photo, I'm feeling pretty relaxed these days. In fact, when I went to the gym to have a first session with the personal trainer he asked me to write a list of the 5 biggest causes of stress in my life, and do you know what? I couldn't think of anything! Not many months ago I could have written an essay on the subject, and I wouldn't have known where to start.

Coming here has definitely been a great decision. However, this is not to say that I don't miss countless things about home. I frequently think for a fleeting moment that I have seen someone I know - the other day I thought I saw Gary Watkins (hi Gary!). There is a short flicker of excitement, followed by the realisation that you have made a mistake and then inevitably, disappointment and a stab of homesickness. I miss the certainty of my old life - which is ironic, as it was exactly this certainty and lack of excitement and newness that had given me itchy feet. I miss my family, my friends and most painfully the opportunity to spend precious moments enjoying my nephew Lewis.

But what do I miss the most - the most consistently?

Sitting in the car chatting with Nugs after dropping off the children for school.

Love ya xxx

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Aaah - That's nice. Would have had plenty of time for chatting after drop off soon as am about to hand in my notice and retire!!! Have decided that 40 is the new 60
xxxxx

Lucy said...

So 'fess up....have you had the hair removed from your cha cha?

lol

If the only thing you have to worry about is your bikini line, then you sure have done the right thing in moving Down Under!

There was an article about Lew in the Daily Mirror. It made my cry - but everything about Lewis makes me cry so no change there.

Miss you lots.

L xxx

The Pettifers said...

Have never had anything but my eyebrows waxed and that was painful enough thanks! Am planning to wear a yashmak when it gets hot in order to avoid both showing off my cha cha and getting anything removed from it.

Hazel said...

Ha Ha Im in and can I just say it looks fab and so do you and the children
xxxxxxx