G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

More adventures on the high sea...



The tide is still very low on the lagoon, exposing even more of the sandbank opposite the house. The children have been fascinated by this and after school, as it was such a beautiful sunny day, I agreed to take Anna and her little friend Georgie from across the road over in the boat to have a closer look.

As you can see from this photo, they rather enjoyed it. And so did I until I realised I couldn't get the motor started up again, and I didn't have a my phone with me and my husband is in Abu Dhabi. Fabulous. The girls were irritatingly unperturbed. Eventually a nice young man (who turned out to be one of our neighbours, age 13, called Simon and goes to the same school as George and Anna) came by in his kayak. He offered to help, attached the tinnie to his vessel with a rope and towed us to shore. Slightly embarrassing I admit, but all good fun. And the children have someone to talk to on the bus!

I spent most of the day helping out at the school canteen. In common with most Australian schools, the meals service is largely run by volunteers. It's open at morning recess (that's first play to you and me) and at lunch time, and sells an amazing array of freshly prepared HEALTHY food. At recess the children can get snacks ranging from tubs of rice, fresh fruit, frozen fruit, icecreams, sushi - just loads of stuff. And lunches are two hot choices a day (today a thai style hot noodle dish or a chicken strip roll with sweet chilli and sour cream) plus lots of wraps, paninis, sandwiches, salads and toasties. I enjoyed being involved and meeting a few other people (largely English!) and couldn't help making comparisons with the woeful state of school lunches at home.

The end of lunch duties gave just enough time for a girly chat in my garden with Maria, lapping up some sun, and putting the world to rights like only us women know how.....lovely.....

2 comments:

Kathryn Herrmann said...

Love your photos of the lagoon. I'm so jealous. It's such a cool place!

Kathryn Herrmann said...

Have I seen a picture of your boat?