G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

How's it hanging?


Oops. I seem to have neglected this blog just lately. However, you will all know that school holidays are a bit manic, and I literally have barely had a moment to myself.

So...where were we? I think I left you with our hopes for a day on the water with our tinnie and kayak on Sunday. Naturally, this didn't happen, because it rained. Again. And its been a bit miserable ever since. However, we haven't let that hold us back! Monday we had a day mainly at home, running a few errands and Anna playing with the girls across the road. On Tuesday, Lydia and her boys (Jack and Will) came over, and after we had exhausted the possibilities for playing here (ie when the boys got tired of chasing the girls), we bribed them all with money and promises of time spent in Galaxy World (an arcade) so that us women could have a quick shufty at the shops at the mall.

I was unable to persuade Lydia that she should buy the fabulous red dress I picked out for her, which she looked absolutely gorgeous in, and actually no purchases were made in the end, but we had a good time!

Then, very exciting, I went out for the evening! It was so wonderful to be out without the children and relaxing. I met up with Maria at the gym and we chatted on the bikes, the rower and the stretching machines. We did work up a sweat and were feeling very virtuous until we spoilt it all by going to a bar in Dee Why and sharing a plate of nachos...

Today we've been to an aquatic centre - you know, slides, waves, inflatables. The children had a great time, but Anna has been showing signs of being desperately overtired, and this usually manifests itself in being extremely rude and particularly to me. I think that because she was only discharged from hospital the day before the end of term, she's been pretty much on the go ever since with sleepovers and activities and now she is starting to fall apart. The other issue for her is that with the girls across the road she seems to be in a sort of heightened state of excitement, bordering on hysteria, all the time, which I think is to do with wanting to be accepted. It makes her kind of anxious and unable to tolerate any setbacks. Am I making any sense? Or am I making excuses? Anyway - I decided she needed some quiet time to calm down after swimming, as to be honest, she had been absolutely objectionable all day. I sent her to her room at 4.30pm and by 5pm she was fast asleep on the floor. Vindicated.

Why does parenting have to be so hard?

Answers on a postcard please....

PS Everyone should go out and by a Daily Mirror today - there is an article about my nephew Lewis in there today. And reading it should make us all remember that for most of us, no matter what challenges we face each day with our children, we should thank God they are able to be rude, objectionable and unreasonable.....You can read more about him at www.lewisjeynes.co.uk

No comments: