G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Saving Lives




Today I saved a life. Two actually. Those two ducks who starred on this blog a few day ago, somehow got lost in Woolworth's car park (local supermarket). Course I'm not sure it was the actual same two ducks, but they were white with orange bills and they quacked a lot. And they were quite stupid. So even if they weren't the same ones, they were certainly related.


Anyway, we had just popped into Woolworth's after swimming to pick up some milk and there they were, quacking manically and wandering around the car park. I spent the next 15 minutes trying to herd them back to the lagoon, whilst flapping my arms in panic in front of every 4 wheel drive that threatened to flatten them. Eventually they were on the road, where the three of us made quite a spectacle of ourselves stopping the traffic and risking life and limb. I have to say, ducks are rather difficult to herd. They go in really any direction, including back towards you, and show no fear of great big car wheels. Much to the local drivers amusement, at last they were back in the lagoon and paddling about as ducks ought to. I've no doubt that the moment we had gone they were back at Woolworths. I think someone has told them where we buy the Sunblest.


Thanks for all the comments. Keep 'em coming. My sister mentions that I should internet shop, which reminds me that I have been meaning to mention the quality of the shopping out here for a while. Whilst there are only really 2 supermarket chains - Woolworths and Coles - neither of which can hold a candle to Waitrose or even Tesco, the local economy seems able to support the full range of independent food stores. This means that I have a huge choice of local butchers, greengrocers and bakers, all of which sell goods of fantastic quality. Also, of course, there are great fishmongers. The other thing that is wonderful is the range of take aways, many of which sell healthy food which you don't have to feel bad about serving to your family every now and again. The best example of these are the chicken shops, which sell roast chickens (and lots of other versions of chicken), along with all the trimmings for a roast or a selection of really beautiful salads. At many of the shops the chickens are either organic or corn fed, free range, antibiotic free birds, so you don't have to feel bad about that either.


So if you do visit - you'll know what to expect food wise...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

On the subject of food shopping - I got really mad yesterday in Sainsburys - went to buy some strawberries and, is my wont nowadays, looked at the label to see where they came from.....America!! We live in Hampshire surrounded by strawberry fields and JS is importing fruit from the States - of course they were bigger than the English ones - had to be didn't they?! And I know what you are all thinking, what was I doing in JS when I should go to my local grower - well sometimes you just want to go and grab some bits in between the other things that go on in our busy lives and no I did not buy the American strawberries. (not that I have anything against America I hasten to add).

I do read your blog whenever I can and really love it. Miss you all.

Brenda

The Pettifers said...

Interesting - because the other thing I forgot to mention about shopping here, is that they don't seem to be obsessed with producing (or selling) the perfect apple/cabbage/strawberry in terms of their appearance. The emphasis is on taste and quality and not aesthetics as seen in UK supermarkets (and probably part of the reason that JS were marketing US strawberries). And very little produce is imported - but I suppose that is because the climate means that virtually anything can be grown or bred.

Unknown said...

Things are changing in the UK - we are now all encouraged to bring our own bags to the shop to avoid the production of so many plastic bags, but this is a drop in the ocean. Recently it was reported that even the organic range in supermarkets is collected from the grower, transported to a central depot, repackaged and then delivered back to the stores, costing loads of fuel miles and meaning that the goods are not as fresh as you would think. Unfortunately you cannot turn the clock back - there are few local stores in which to buy local produce and few of us have the time to shop on a daily basis. Anyway I'm off to the farmers market in Fareham on Saturday to at least show my support for the local growers and feel environmentally superior for a weekend! I ate my two courgettes that I have managed to produce this year this week accompanied by home grown potatoes - Good Life here we come!

Grace&Bob said...

Bob prints off your blog and Grace sends it to Wyn in Manchester. She then passes it to the rest of the family up there who you have never met. But they all seem to read it and find it interesting.