G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Man of the Match!



Well, it's been a while since I updated this, so there is plenty to say! Sorry about that folks!

So, more on the duck situation. Since our white duck has been bereaved, she/he has been frequenting our garden - and our house. She comes up to the sitting room doors at least a couple of times a day and quacks at us through the window until we go out and say hello. Then once when I went back in to get some bread, she came in too. Now she thinks she lives here and hops in whenever she gets the chance. Yesterday she even stole a sandwich off my plate from right under my nose! It's rather sweet, but I think that she has told all the other ducks on the lake what a soft touch we are, and now they are all congregating in the garden. It could get a bit spooky - we'll have to see how it goes...

You're probably wondering where the photos are of the Athletic's Carnival. Well it was cancelled. Because of the rain. Yes yes. I know you are chuckling...

They are trying again on Friday. I'll report back then.

We are now a proper sporting Aussie family. Anna has started netball (which means that I have to get George and Anna to two different places 10km apart at the same time - so no change there then!) and tonight George had his second ever basketball match. And he played a blinder! So much more confident than last week, really getting into the game, had possession a number of times, played some good passes, made a shot and had me standing up shouting encouragement on a number of occasions. The St Luke's Hotrods won 17 -8 and George was Man of the Match! How fabulous is that?

Although I haven't mentioned it on here, I've just come out of a period of terror. About a month ago, I think it finally occurred to me deep in my consciousness that I had indeed emigrated, and that everything I could be sure about (or at least that is how it felt) was thousands of miles away. I became almost literally paralysed with fears - largely irrational - torturing myself with 'what if' scenarios. I couldn't understand what had happened to me - all I knew was that I was really, really scared. Of everything. It was horrible. However....I've been to talk to someone and this is apparently a not uncommon response to moving continents and also to having major life change (like being ridiculously busy and then not really having very much to do). Even while it was going on, I knew that I didn't want to come home (sorry everyone!) but I did want to stop being afraid. And now, almost as insidiously as it arrived, it has gone away. The clouds have lifted and I'm loving it all again. I'm going to learn to enjoy today - which is something I've never been very good at. I'm going to stop having a plan, making goals, pushing myself forward and to the limit (at least for a while!). I'm going to stop looking backwards and feeling fearful. I'm going to sit back and enjoy my wonderful life, my wonderful children and my wonderful husband, and I'm not going to feel bad about it. So there...

2 comments:

Lucy said...

I am glad you are feeling better now. We are about to book our trip!

However you have scared me with the concept of "stop having a plan"....... I'm having a panic attack just thinking about it......maybe I could come and talk to the same person at Christmas? (See, I could plan that now lol)

Just going to breathe into a paper bag. I've planned to do this between 8.15 and 8.20 pm.

Hugs xxxxxxx

Kathryn Herrmann said...

Well done to George!!!

Love the story of the duck, too.

Emma and her family are going to Mum's today to say goodbye. They fly out on 3rd September.