G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Long Weekend



It's been a very busy couple of days. Friday the weather broke - having had a few days of 22 and 23 degrees, we went back to grey and drizzle, although not really cold. Everyone tells us that spring is definitely around the corner and it is certainly starting to feel that way.

Saturday was busy, despite a very slow start as Andrew and I enjoyed a well deserved lie in. Andrew is still setting his internal clock straight after his latest trip to Abu Dhabi, and I've been getting up at 6.30am every morning (some hours before my natural clock would kick in!), so we'd been looking forward to getting a few extra hours. In the afternoon it was riding and then off to Sharon and Richard's for supper. We had lovely mussels, a fair bit to drink and a great time.

Now, virtually everyone who knows me will know that one of my most favourite people in all the world is my best friend Nugs, who I miss terribly. It was her 40th birthday party on Saturday, and by the wonders of modern technology, Andrew, myself, Sharon and Richard were able to attend - via Skype! She is very honoured to have had 'Happy Birthday' sung for her in both hemispheres simultaneously, and she deserves no less of a celebration. We were treated to a view of Johnny's bare bottom (thanks for that Johnny) and said hello to lots of people we haven't seen since we left in April. Lovely!

In order to make the time difference work, we ended up staying at Sharon and Richard's rather longer than was probably sensible for the children, and it was a very sleepy Anna and George we put to bed last night.

Today has been a family day. George has been wanting to go to the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney (a sort of science museum with lots of hands on and interactive stuff for the kids), so after a big fry up, we set off. It is always impressive coming across the Harbour Bridge and into the city, and we got there in under 35 minutes, which was quicker than we had anticipated. At the museum there was an exhibition all about special fxs, which the children loved, along with all sorts of computer stuff (including an amusing dancing robot) and lots of interesting design.









Afterwards we went on a bit of a journey down memory lane for me, by going to have a look at the house in Glebe in which myself and my cousin Cathy lived when we came to Sydney 20 years ago. Glebe was quite changed - a lot more upmarket - but pretty much as I remembered it. We lived in the basement flat of 47 Wigram Road, and there it still was, although I think the balcony was not closed in when we lived there, and I think the rendering was a different colour (you'll have to correct me Cath!). Andrew and the children were amused that I had once lived in such a dungeon, but I have very happy memories of our time there! We went from there, down Ferry Road, to look at Glebe Rowing Club where Cathy and spent a lot of time - me mainly because male rowers have bodies which are really second to none, and Cathy because she was an excellent rower! - but it was all a bit confusing. The building which I am pretty sure was the rowing club is now the Sydney University Women's Rowing Club and upstairs is a rather swish restaurant. Next door is a building that I don't think existed when we were there, which now houses Glebe Rowing Club. I've taken photos of both and am waiting to Cathy to advise me! It was all very nostalgic, and it made me think of the days of my youth with no responsibilities and all my life in front of me.....

Sigh....







No comments: