G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Thomas the Tugboat

Wendy has (for the first time in her new life) gone out this evening and so it is me again today - that chap who cannot be trusted to look after his children in 3 feet of water and whose sexuality has so scandalously been called into question. Thanks to those who jumped to my defence on that front (Alex - who has known me since we were three so he should know! and Lucy) Not that I would have a problem with it if I were but I'm not so lets just put that one to bed, so to speak.

Thanks also to Amanda who so kindly e-mailed to say that she enjoyed my last entry and that I should be encouraged to do more. Oh dear I think I am getting a bit bogged down in double entendres, I had better move on.....

It's really quite odd writing something that you know people are going to read but not knowing how many or who they are, except for the obvious (Hi Mum and Dad). I notice that our counter has clicked over the 2000 mark so I guess there are a few people out there that are interested, which is nice to know.

The great excitement in the house (or 'unit' I should say) today was the new mobile phones that the children can't seem to put down, particuarly Anna. It was kind of nice to receive the first ever text message from my daughter but it is another sign that they are growing up pretty fast. Part of the reason for coming here was to make sure that we have as good a life as possible together as a family whilst we are a unit of four. I am absolutely sure we have done the right thing.

I have been travelling to work on the ferry from Neutral Bay to Circular Quay passing the Opera House and Harbour Bridge en route. I was thinking of taking some pictures and putting them on the blog, the city in particular is spectacular in the evening with all the lights on in the dark. Then I realised that the pictures would be pretty much like any other pictures that you can find of the Opera House, the Bridge and the City except the photography wouldn't be as good, so I don't think I will bother. Instead I will give you a quote from Bill Bryson's 'Down Under' which sums up the experience. I had previously avoided the Bryson books thinking that they are probably not my type of thing but I have to say that I really enjoyed it and I certainly learnt a lot about this country that we now call home (actually we still call England 'home', I wonder how long that will last - or is your place of birth always 'home'?) Anyway here's the quote:

"Spangly water is crowded with the harbour's plump and old-fashioned ferries, looking for all the world as if they had been plucked from the pages of a 1940's children's book with a title like 'Thomas the Tugboat', disgorging streams of tanned and lightly dressed office workers to fill the glass and concrete towers that loom behind."

"An air of cheerful industriousness suffuses the scene. These are people who get to live in a safe and fair-minded society, in a climate that makes you strong and handsome, in one of the world's great cities - and they get to come to work on a boat from a childrens story book, across a sublime plane of water, and each morning glance up to see that famous Opera House and inspiring bridge and the laughing face of Luna Park. No wonder they look so damned happy."

If I say 'How did you get to work today?' will I be showered in metaphorical old tomatoes?! Hold your fire though, I will be on the bus next week when we move to Dee Why.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sure BB can make the bus trip sond equally inspiring.