G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Monday, May 28, 2007

Being Me...

I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting to the whole 'full time motherhood' thing. Andrew ended a mild complaint about something domestic the other day with the words ' and I've been at work all day' and it illicited a response of near hysteria and irrationality from me. We've agreed that expression will not EVER be repeated. However, it has made me have a think about my new role in life. Whilst I always considered (no matter what others may have thought) that my number one priority was the children, this is the first time I haven't had a job since I had them. And it feels a bit odd. Now, what I am about to say is by no means any sort of criticism of women who don't work - it's just how I judge myself (and I am generally my own worst critic). The thing is....I could spend all day everyday on domestic issues and run a house on obsessive compulsive lines. Andrew would never be tempted to say the banned words again and I wouldn't really have a problem with it. My problem is with doing anything that isn't strictly speaking related to the running of the home - like having coffee, lunch, going to the gym or having a wander around the shops. Because when I do that sort of stuff I feel guilty and am much more likely to have a totally disproportionate response to perfectly reasonable comments like' do I have a clean shirt' (yes you have - would you like me to insert it in your rear end with this broom handle?').

At the bottom of all this is a feeling that I can't shake off.....isn't not working a bit, well......lazy? (Waiting for a bombardment from everyone now....)

But it's deeper than that. I've realised that, tragically, I don't really know who I am when I'm not working. When filling in a form recently which asked for my profession, I stared at the categories unable to bring myself to tick the box marked 'housewife'. This set me off on a few nights of navel gazing, and this is what I've come up with.....

Over the years I've come to define myself by what I do - whether it be work, or the other stuff I rushed about doing (being a councillor, sitting on committees etc etc). I've wanted that to be what people knew about me. So the answer to 'who are you' would be a description of what I do.......I think I did this because I thought that just being me wasn't good enough. Now I don't work, there is nothing to hide behind. I have to just be Wendy. Scary.....

5 comments:

Lucy said...

Well personally I'd say, based on my Protestant-work-ethic/sick Arbeit-Macht-Frei mentality that, yes, not working is lazy.....

But I would say that wouldn't I?

Otherwise my world will collapse.

I have worked out (after many a blundering foot-in-mouth moment) that the right thing to ask women when you meet them is:

"Do you work outside the home?"

I think you should tell people that you are taking a sabbatical to write a novel. As well as sounding reeeeeeeeelly cool, it might even make you do it.

Love you millions. Keep taking the tablets ;-)

Lucy xxxxxx

Lucy said...

You're missing the point anyway. You're a Freelance Consultant.

So what if you don't have any projects on the go right now?

L xxxxx

Samantha Tolmie said...

Just wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE but not sure where to put it so putting it here lol!

PS I dont have a job outside of the home, but that doesnt mean I dont work. I work harder than most of you, sorry to say so stick that in one's pipe and smoke it - but dont forget to clean up after yourself!

Lucy said...

Missing the point there Samantha.....in so many ways....

L xx

Unknown said...

Outstanding Wendy
Will consider my response bt now you know how hard it is and so you search to find out who you are and I have found that Iam different on the outside than on the inside and I gave up being judged by people a long time ago!!!! The joy of hindsight and education!!
Will email yo my other comments. xxx good for you. You don't need to write a novel but God help my husband if he made the comment that HE had been working all day!!!!! Ignorant creatures.