G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Another flat....

So, as planned, we moved into the Dee Why flat last Tuesday. All went well, but after my initial elation at finally being close to school in a flat that wasn't a bit 'icky', I felt rather deflated. I'm really REALLY looking forward to being surrounded by our things in 'our' house, although I have been warned that often this event leads to some panic....once your furniture has travelled across the world, there is no avoiding it - you have emigrated and you better face up to it!



The flat is very small, but immaculately maintained and has, oh joy of joys, a washing machine! No more using a communal laundry and constantly searching for $2 coins! It also has a very sunny balcony from which we can see Dee Why lagoon and which is frequented by an array of unfamiliar and colourful birds. I've taken a few pictures and will put them on here when we have our own internet connection, as currently I am in an internet cafe down the road.

Since arriving here I've been feeling a lot more relaxed. I've been able to create some routine and the children are happier - the journey home plus homework is no longer taking the entire evening. Andrew seems to be getting on with the bus ok, leaving early in the morning (generally before me and the children get up) and getting home in time for supper.

Weekends since we've been here haven't quite been what we had hoped - we were mainly under house arrest last weekend with Anna having tonsillitis, poor love, and really sick with it. She had a sleepover on the Friday night with Zoe, but I got a phone call quite early on Saturday to let me know that she was saying she didn't feel well and had a sore throat. I spoke to her and asked if she wanted me to get her now, or later as arranged, and given that she said (in a small sad voice that pretty much broke your heart) that she wanted me to come a straight away, I knew she felt awful. By the time I got there, she was running a raging temperature, had been sick and was asleep.....anyway - after most of the day not being able to get her temperature down, and a lot of vomiting, I took her to the GP and tonsillitis was diagnosed. She's back at school now, a bit pale but raring to go....

Monday evening was an exciting one for George, as Andrew took him to a rugby league match. Manly Sea Eagles play just down the road, and apparently it is a real family occasion (although I'm not tempted to go..). George was especially impressed with the cheer leaders (that's my boy!) and now spends much of his time attached to his rugby ball. It's great to see George developing interests in sports, although he doesn't have much confidence in his abilities at the moment. We have spoken to the school about him doing basketball, and he is keen to join a cricket club when the season starts as well.

However, the most important sport is swimming, which they must be able to do well if I am to stop being such a basket case when they are in the sea. To this end I have enrolled them in the Carlile Swimming School and they will have hard core swimming lessons after school every Thursday at the Sydney Academy of Sport - which just happens to be round the corner from the house at Narrabeen. They are both a bit annoyed about this, as neither of them are big fans of swimming lessons, but as I've explained to them - it's either this or no going in the sea...

So - it's only just over a week before we get the house at Narrabeen. Unfortunately Andrew is unable to take time off work to help with the crate when it arrives, but obviously as the new boy this is understandable. However, the fact that the 'work' he will be doing whilst I am dealing with all this will be a surfing lesson at Manly Beach as some sort of 'team building' exercise is a little irritating.....

Catch you all again soon....