G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Monday, October 1, 2007

Bondi Beach Bums



View of Bondi Beach



George throwing Andrew into a wave!



Dad and son



George and I playing in the surf

So....it was a public holiday, and whilst we could have gone to a beach at the end of the road, we decided to drive to the other side of the city to sample the delights of Bondi. This is a bit like deciding to go to Bournemouth Beach on the hottest August Bank Holiday weekend ever. Except with better parking. As it was, the sun was out, and although the roads were busy by Australian standards, we got there without incident and found a space to park right on the beach front, despite my doom and gloom predictions of traffic chaos and not being able to find anywhere to leave the car.

I went to Bondi twenty years ago and I remember not being very impressed. I think I had been expecting something a bit more exotic. However, it is very much a city beach and as such, the sea front is not dissimilar to Bournemouth. There was also the largest number of people in one place I have seen since we arrived here. The big difference, however, is powder soft sand, absolutely crystal clear water, huge surf and temperatures over thirty degrees.

I didn't really go in the water (people who know me well will know that it needs to be unbearably hot and I need to have carried out the water cleanliness testing myself before I get in - and that is just swimming pools...), but I did have a paddle with George. Andrew and the children had a good time playing in the surf, while I read in the shade tent we had hired. I've decided that my skin will see more than enough incidental sunshine to age me, without actually sunbathing. It is noticeable that Australian women do seem to age more quickly than British and European ones, and I have to assume that it is the sun that does it. It can't be the tough life they lead for goodness sake!

After three hours of this exertion, we decided to go to Watson's Bay. Watson's Bay is famous for Doyles Fish Restaurant, which has been there for 122 years (a really really REALLY long time in Australia - if of course you completely ignore the Aboriginal culture that had been here for 40,000 years before the present day population; and I mention this because largely Australians do...). I also went to Watson's Bay twenty years ago with a chap whose name eludes me, but he ran the bar at Glebe Rowing Club. He drove Cathy and I over there in his mini moke, but when I got there today the place didn't really ring any bells. I do believe that I may have been slightly tipsy that evening, and I also think that afterwards he took us to The Bourbon and Beefsteak in Kings Cross (which incidently is still there) and tried to kiss me, despite being almost old enough to be my father. Tut tut. But I digress...We had fish and chips on the beach, and although the children were tired, it was lovely. We all fell asleep on the way home (except obviously Andrew, who was driving...)

This evening we have taken it slow, showered and are all pottering about in our pyjamas. You know how when you are on holiday, and you've been to the beach in the sun, and you get home and shower and you are warmed to the bones and tired from the heat and the relaxation? I feel like that - and we are not on holiday!

Cool eh?



George and his daddy deep in conversation



Doyles Fish Restaurant at Watson's Bay



Anna looking lovely as usual

1 comment:

Lucy said...

Hey babes that's a nice bikini. It doesn't show your Tena-Lady pad at all...

hahahahahahahaha

L xxx