G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The sun has got his hat on!


Today was a great day. I was officially a Good Mother, having sent my children off to school with their home made chicken dippin' balls and broccolini spears. We survived the cyclone and after a dreary start the sun came out and everything was right with the world.


I went to the Mall on my thermal vest hunting expedition and having got the necessary, I took myself off to a book shop to see if I could get something to help me identify Australian birds. I couldn't find anything, but I did buy three other books - a recipe book (Tana Ramsay - I couldn't help thinking how fortuitous it is that young Gordon should have chosen a wife who was so easy on the eye and such good media fodder - either good planning or good fortune...), a book on days out in Sydney with children and most excitingly, a book called 'A Perfect Mess - the hidden benefits of disorder...how crammed closets, cluttered offices and on-the-fly planning make the world a better place'. Hurrah! Apparently, this ground breaking book unlocks the power of disorder and shows you how you can use it to change your life.


Is that excellent or what? I am prone to a bit of disorder myself, and it's good to know that I'm contributing to making the world a better place. Next time I get in a muddle and turn up somewhere at the wrong time (oh ok - late) or on the wrong day, I don't need to feel like I've failed - for I will have been doing something for the greater good.


When I got home, I did some web research and discovered that the bird I had been so impressed with was a White Faced Heron - picture above. Beautiful isn't it? Speaking of birds, as the sun was out this afternoon, I went out in the garden and fed the ducks, throwing bread into the water over the low fence. I soon had quite a gathering of hungry chaps, and one of them decided that he needed to be closer to me, and flew into the garden. Have you ever seen a duck fly? They are rubbish. I know they migrate thousands of miles etc etc, but really - you should have seen it. It took enormous effort to lift itself out of the water and frantic flapping to gain sufficient height to get over the fence. Then it's landing could only be described as a nose dive into the grass, landing on it's face and nearly doing a forward roll on impact. It was hysterical, and had it been the only one to do it, I would have just thought I had come across a very incompetent duck, but four others followed suit with very similar results.


George's trip to Bathurst has been postponed. The road over the mountains which they would have to use was closed last night due to heavy snow, and there are still high winds inland. I'm rather relieved, as I was concerned about the driving conditions for the coach. Of course, there is also the added benefit of not having to get him to school for 6.15am...

No comments: