G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Good things....






It has finally stopped raining. It's cold, but the sun is out. When I say cold - it is mild of course by comparison to a UK winter, but we are still suffering a little bit at night. Or at least we were, until we bought an electric blanket yesterday, and I had the best sleep I've had for weeks.

I've always associated electric blankets with grannies and eiderdowns. And if I ever imagined buying one, I would never have thought that it might be a Sydney winter that might drive me to it. However, we are told that this is the coldest winter they have experienced locally for many years and the houses just aren't up to it. It doesn't matter how much heat you pack in - gas fire or electric heater - the moment you switch it off all the warmth goes straight out the of single glazed windows. And there are loads of them. Fabulous for the views, and for the summer, but this particular winter they are proving a problem.

Am I getting a bit obsessed by this subject?

However, the children are outside in t shirts bouncing on the trampoline with their friends, and Andrew and I have just been sitting out in the garden watching people kayaking on the lagoon. It all could be very very much worse!

On Friday evening we went to a bush dance at the school, which is pretty much the same as a barn dance. There was no alcohol served at the event, which those of you who may be aware of my performance during and after the last Milford School barn dance will no doubt be relieved at. George was a bit mortified and found some similarly tortured boys to run about with. Anna danced the night away and Andrew and I made a few more friends. I've included the best of the pictures that I took, but I find taking pictures of people who are moving rather tricky. As you can see!

Last night Anna had 5 friends sleepover as a late birthday party. They did more sleeping than the boys did last weekend, and Anna gave full flow to her developing version of an Australian accent. At the moment she sounds rather American - she is determined to fit in and using the accent is clearly part of the strategy. Other UK parents tell me she will travel through her American accent, pass through a South African one and then eventually sounds authentically Australian. If I allow it. Can I really let her say 'warder' for water? And if I don't, will I have officially turned into my mother?

Sunday has been a fun day - we met some more of our neighbours and introduced the children to theirs. George and Anna have spent most of the day outside riding about on their bikes and exploring the park at the end of the road. And this afternoon, the O'Briens and the Leifers joined us for food and drink and lots of laughter. Yes - definitely Good Things and Good Times..

No comments: