G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Monday, June 18, 2007

Photos!

During the internet-less interlude we have just experienced I have, of course, continued to take some photos. They are collected up here. The one above is of Anna admiring a salt water crocodile at a World Environment Day exhibition in Dee Why. Luckily these formidable creatures are not found in New South Wales (except obviously at your local fete) - my 'How To Treat Bites and Stings' book tells me that the symptoms of a saltwater crocodile bite are 'severe injuries, blood loss and death'. Helpfully they suggest you seek medical attention urgently, although it seems that the role of your local paramedic will largely be to confirm your death. This one is not very big - they can be up to 7 metres long, and they kill for fun. I'm going to try to avoid them.
And here we have the guilty culprits - George's birthday sleepover. They all look a bit worse for wear don't they? They had eaten a few blue M and Ms but apart from that I think we managed to keep them clean. From the left we have Anna, George, Borja, Jack, Lewis and Andrew.
Now, in previous posts you will have noted that I am developing an interest in the local birdlife. I haven't got a book yet, so at the moment we are calling this one 'Pigeon with Mohican'. I suspect his actual name is not quite so literally descriptive. Anna gave this one a name - Puff - although I didn't like to point out that we had no way of knowing whether it was the same bird visiting us every day...
I do know what this one is called! It's a rainbow lorikeet and there are absolutely hundreds of them in Dee Why. Every evening at dusk they gather in the trees along the beach and the noise of them calling to one another is deafening. They are pretty tame and would come quite close on the balcony to be fed, as you can see.
Aren't they just beautiful? I haven't been able to get a picture of my favourite two birds as yet, but when I do I will add them to the blog. There are a lot of sulphur crested cockatoos here, which if you used to watch Playschool in the old days was the bird they had on that. The most captivating bird I've seen though is a sort of heron like creature with a long, elegant neck, grey feathers and blue legs.

The birds here are very colourful and much of their interest lies in their difference to European species. However, I have not yet heard one with a pleasant call. They squawk. So far we have been able to differentiate between the bird that sounds like a monkey, and most disturbingly, the one that sounds like a child screaming. For a while I kept going to the window and scanning the lagoon looking for a youngster in distress, until I realised my mistake!
Eeeeeekkkkkk! Spider alert! This one is a Huntsman spider - very common but capable of delivering a nasty bite if you are unlucky. This one is at Anna's riding stable. People tend to leave them be as they eat a lot of other insects which cause more problems. And yes - they are BIG.
And this is Anna at her first riding lesson in Australia.

That's your lot - until next time!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

The bird with the long blue legs and grey feathers is probably an ibis. Does it have a long curved beak? There used to be hundreds at my old school. One of the old priests wrote a book called The Birds of Riverview to record the birds he saw there.

Ibis: average sightings per year: 567. I can only imagine that he stopped recording after the second or third time he looked out his window.

Hundreds of rainbow lorikeets used to fly through our back garden in Pymble to where the neighbours would feed them. They played havock with the washing, but they were glorious.

The Pettifers said...

Hi Damian

Thanks for your help with my bird mystery!

After some web research, I've found out the bird is a white faced heron. PLenty of pictures of them on google if you are not familiar with them.

I'm loving the lorikeets too - and so far no worries with the washing...it rains too much to bother putting it out!

Wendy