G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Monday, May 12, 2008

Anyone for Netball?



Our Saturdays here are mostly taken up with sporting activities. I have even been inspired to find a team sport for myself (presently only in the inspirational stage - but it's the thought that counts). Anna has a netball match in the morning, Andrew has a soccer match in the early afternoon, and then Anna has riding. In the summer we have to try to fit in cricket as well.

This weekend was no different, and I thought you might be interested to know how fanatical netball is here. Now, I know people do play netball in the UK, and some people are quite keen, but where Anna plays on a Saturday morning, there are 50 courts, all in use from 7.30am till the afternoon. When we get there for 9am matches, it is absolute chaos. You can't get anywhere near the place to park, and finding the court is usually a bit fraught. It's a good social occasion though, with lots of parents there and quite an atmosphere. All the teams have these special team dresses on - when I first saw one I thought they were absolutely hideous, but I'm kind of getting used to them now! You'll see what I mean from the photos! Anna loves it, as the team are all her friends from school (although it is not a school team), and they are doing pretty well. On Saturday they won 35 - 5, but to be fair, the other team only had 6 players.....



Interest in netball doesn't stop on the local courts though. Netball matches are shown live on the telly, and are advertised with shots of the players looking kind of sexy but terrifying. Can you imagine them showing netball live on the telly in the UK? Or any female sport? Don't think so..

Andrew is really enjoying playing soccer, and this week he scored a goal! Unfortunately I didn't see it, as I had skulked off to get a coffee at the nearest beach cafe. Oops. Speaking of which, George has finally started scoring goals at basketball. Not that I've seen any of them. The game is very fast you know. Ok...the first time I was receiving a very interesting bit of chat from one of the other mums, and the second time I was in the loo. Oops.



Mother's Day was lovely. Anna made me breakfast in bed, which was lovely, I got beautiful cards and gifts, and we went for a lovely walk along the coast, discovering a number of places I intend to return to when the whales start coming past our beaches to migrate north, as I'm sure they are great vantage points. It would have been nice if Anna could have endured the walk with a little less complaining, but if I concentrated very hard, I found that most of the time it was possible to zone out her whines of 'seriously, we have walked, like, waaaaay too far' etc etc....

No comments: