G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Anna's birthday - move over Nigella...





Anna was 10 this week. I think the ages of our children are a constant cause of amazement to us. Is it really 10 years since I produced this child? And how old does that make me?!

Unfortunately Anna wasn't really well, and had to miss school on Thursday and Friday. She also had national tests (like SATs) so had to struggle through Tuesday and Wednesday before I could safely take her out of class. She was so under the weather that we decided she wasn't well enough to go to the school disco - which, as you can imagine, caused a certain amount of drama.

However, I found a way to placate her. We took a short shopping trip to the local 'Alfresco Emporium' - a wonderful shop full of home and kitchen wares - and suddenly I was channelling Nigella. By the time we left, we were the proud owners of a lovely white china raised cake stand, and even more gorgeously, a stand on which you display cupcakes. Along with pastel coloured cupcake cups (is that the technical term??), an icing set, and a job lot of colouring and cute things to decorate with.

Not having ever made a cupcake before in my life, this was something of a departure for me. I don't think I am known for my cake making prowess. In fact, if I was known for anything in my former English life with regards to cooking, it would probably be the fact that I was rarely capable of serving dessert once we got to that stage of a dinner party. Although there was, of course, the truly dreadful Iranian meal I once forced upon my dinner guests....all day in the kitchen slaving over lamb and saffron and all sort of spices to create something that tasted of cardboard and was served to at least one person who didn't eat lamb. Oh well...



So, on Friday night, instead of strutting her stuff at the disco, Anna helped me outdo Nigella making cupcakes and a chocolate meringue stack. You will see from the photo, that we did rather well. I was inordinately proud of my efforts, and I think that this may be my new hobby. Forget about team sports - let's just make cakes!! Anna's party friends also loved the cakes, and the making of charm bracelets which was the entertainment. Andrew and I didn't really enjoy the running about until 1am which was part of the sleepover element of the extravaganza, but after last year, it wasn't exactly unexpected!





Now all we have to do is wait for George's birthday in a couple of weeks. Do you think he would like some pastel decorated cupcakes at his party? Hmmm...didn't think so....

1 comment:

Pop's Cards said...

Hope that you had a brilliant birthday, that cake looks yummy, take care love Pops & T.J England x x x