G'Day!

Welcome to our blog! It's our way both of keeping a record of getting to know our new home, and also of keeping everyone at home in touch with what we are doing.

Love Wendy, Andrew, George and Anna xxx

How to comment!

We like comments! It lets us know that someone is reading this rubbish we are sending out into the ether. Don't be put off by the need to set up a google account - you never need to use it other than to sign in to make a comment (although I have to say that googlemail is rather good!).

And if you already have a google account - why not leave a comment today?

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Say what??!!


Radio is really big here. I was talking the other day to someone who is in advertising, and she was saying that one of the big things she has had to get used to since moving out here (of course she is British - nearly everyone is...) is what an important medium radio is - more so than tv. Radio DJs are superstars, and everyone knows what they look like. They do have some good shows (certainly Australian radio is far superior to anything I've seen on the telly that they produced themselves), but the thing that I find extraordinary is the adverts. They will advertise anything on the radio at any time of the day. The one that is making me uncomfortable at the moment is one where there are two cowboys (I presume, from the voices..) and one of them - Fast Willy - is having trouble with shooting off too soon. It's an advert for some nasal delivery system to deal with premature ejaculation. Now - I appreciate that this is nothing to be ashamed of etc etc, but really - I'm on the school run! I've got children in the car! Can you imagine that on a UK radio show??

And the other day I was listening to an interview with one of the personal trainers (female) on the Biggest Loser, and the (male) DJ asked her whether there were any exercises the other DJ (female) could do to lose the fat from her vagina.....erm excuse me?! Would that be an appropriate thing to ask anyone anywhere - let alone on national radio. George was sniggering in the passenger seat.

As a result, I often listen to a Christian radio station in the car, which happened to be already programmed into the stereo when we bought the car. They play good music and they NEVER talk about premature ejaculation or vaginas. I just zone out if they get too godly...

As far as the TV is concerned, it is pretty much all the same programmes we watched in the UK. You'd be surprised at the amount of UK stuff - some of it, it is difficult to imagine what interest it have to Australians. Although it sometimes feels like it, not everyone is British - so why would people want to watch 'Escape to the Country' or 'Relocation Relocation'? I've just checked the TV schedule for tonight, and the number of UK shows is amazing - The Bill, Antiques Roadshow, Casualty, Parkinson, Coronation Street, Eastenders. I don't tend to watch any of the UK shows, with the exception of things like Relocation Relocation. I like to see the familiar places.

Speaking of which, our house (in the UK) has just been on TV! It was featured in Escape to the Country. The people didn't buy it, but apparently they were very complimentary. Thank goodness. Did anyone see it?

Right - better go...it's Saturday morning and we've got a busy day of cricket, riding and BBQing on the beach with friends!

(Oh and if anyone needs info about that nasal delivery stuff for premature ejaculation, please feel free to email me privately....lol)

2 comments:

Samantha Tolmie said...

Lol your mum told me about the radio thing yesterday and it made me laugh! Cant imagine what it must be like to listen to stuff like that on the radio, even alone in the car, but with George as well? How embarrassing! And I have to admit I NEVER heard of fat removal from the vagina ... not wanting to go into it too much but what possible benefit could it have for anybody? Hmmm ... dont dwell on that one! So gutted we missed your house as we never got to see it when you lived in it! I think we're more likely (National Lottery permitting ... please!) to see your house in Australia than we are to see your house in NF!

Love you loads xxxx

Samantha, James, Samuel and Lew xxx

Lucy said...

God, do we have to worry about having a fat vagina now, as well as all the other body-parts we are supposed to worry about?!

I've always figured that boys won't care once they've got that far. But maybe I'm wrong?

Just going to eat a cake now, while I think about it....